PhD Defense by Klaus Westphal
Klaus Westphal, Department of Chemistry and Bioscience will defend his thesis on: "Secondary Metabolites of Fusarium – Elucidation of Structures and Biosynthetic Pathways"
22.03.2019 kl. 09.15 - 12.15
"Secondary Metabolites of Fusarium – Elucidation of Structures and Biosynthetic Pathways"
An increase of resistant bacteria, primarily caused by overuse of antibiotics, has caused a demand for new drugs. A rich source for antimicrobial compounds are secondary metabolites from plants, bacteria and fungi. In recent years, genome mining has revealed a potential for secondary metabolite production in fungi far greater than anticipated. In that sense, we have only started to scratch the surface of natural products. The reason for this can often be found in silent genes, which are not expressed under standard laboratory conditions. A widely used method for identifying new drugs is through biological screening of metabolite extracts from organisms. However, this will only yield results for the metabolites, which are generally produced in relatively high quantity. It has also been a goal for the scientific community to develop designed biological synthesis of metabolites through protein engineering. This field will require a deep understanding of the biosynthetic mechanism and protein interactions involved. We are not there yet. The focus of this project is to provide novel insights for understanding the molecular machinery of both non-ribosomal peptide synthetases and polyketide synthases of the genus Fusarium.
SUPERVISOR and Co-supervisor:
- Supervisor: Professor Reinhard Wimmer, Dept. Chemistry and Bioscience, AAU, Denmark
- Co-Supervisor: Associate Professor Teis E. Søndergaard, Dept. Chemistry and Bioscience, AAU, Denmark
- Associate Professor Anders Olsen (Chairman) Dept. Chemistry and Bioscience, AAU, Denmark
- Assoc. Prof. Franz Berthiller, Department of Agrobiotechnology (IFA-Tulln) University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna, Austria
- Professor Dan Stærk, Department of Drug Design and Pharmacology, Faculty of Health and
Medical Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
AFTER THE DEFENSE A SMALL RECEPTION WILL BE HELD AT FREDRIK BAJERS VEJ 7H.
Department of Chemistry and Bioscience, AAU, Section of Biotechnology
Fredrik Bajers Vej 7H, 9220 Aalborg Ø, room number: 3.122-8